I began my athletic career as a gymnast at the local YMCA before I was 2 years old! I started competing at the age of 8 and competed for the YMCA, Illinois Gymnastics Institute, and finally the College of William and Mary - where I also earned a BBA in Marketing.
After my gymnastics career had ended (since you're over the hill at 21), I decided to look for other sports in which I could continue my athletic career. After dabbling in a few things for a couple of years, I stumbled across olympic-style weightlifting. I started competing in 2000, and since then have competed in close to 20 national level events, including the 2001 and 2007 World Team Trials and the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Trials. I won my first National weightlifting title at the 2009 National Championships in Chicago.
In 2002, while participating in a weightlifting event, I was recruited to try out for the US Bobsled team. I began my sliding career in 2003 and have been fortunate enough to be a World Cup and National Team member, traveling the world to race for the USA.
I've had an enjoyable and successful bobsled career - competing for the US throughout many World Cup seasons, including serving as an alternate for the 2010 Olympic Team. I finally retired from bobsled in 2013 - though I'm always looking to try new things!
You can see some of my athletic accomplishments here:
Throughout the years that I spent traveling the world reaching for my athletic goals, I've been fortunate enough to also help others reach their own fitness and athletic goals as a speaker, educator, strength & conditioning coach and movement specialist. I started out as a personal trainer many years ago, in 1997, earning my CSCS certification with the NSCA in 1999 and working in various positions over the years:
- Division I assistant strength coach, College of William and Mary
- Head strength coach, US National Women's field hockey team and US Under-21 National team
- Owner, BGB Fitness Studio - Better Get Better
- CrossFit Specialty Weightlifting Course Instructor - as one of Coach Mike Burgener's team of instructors
- ACE Master Instructor - Sports Conditioning Workshop
- Reference panel member, Operation Pull Your Own Weight
- Battling Ropes Director of Programming and Certification course instructor
- Battling Ropes DVDs, Mastery of Physical Prowess DVD - with John Brookfield
- Speaker, Perform Better, IDEA World, Perform Better Europe, CPTN
- Fitness program director, supervisor, personal trainer - various health and fitness clubs